Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Swap it to me

I've been busy with some small project swaps over the last month or so.

It all started with dishcloths. The purchased kind do not seem to last forever, and I needed to add some to my kitchen drawer to replace those with holes. I read about swap-bot so wanted to give it a try, and also signed up for a dishcloth round robin on ravelry through the dishcloth round robin group.

The first swap up was an international Dishcloth and Tea Swap..... on swap-bot. I was matched with a partner in Croatia and had one month to knit or crochet a dishcloth for her. I had fun looking through the dishcloths patterns and decided to knit up a starfish cloth. My first one was in green, but I found out that my partner did not like green, so I made another using the same pattern and a cherry swirl colourway. I hope she likes it! I also sent a selection of tea and some very cute heart buttons.

I liked the starfish cloth so much that I knit some more for my aunt and second cousin who had both recently moved into new digs. They are quick and easy to knit on road trips.

Then I signed up for an international "homemade bookmarks swap". I was matched with a partner in Illinois, USA - I read her profile and found that she liked Harry Potter, so I knit up a Dobby Style Sock Mark.

I had fun rummaging through my sock yarn looking for the correct colours. And of course this was good practice for toe up socks and wrapped heels. I finished the sockmark last Friday, and the heat had finally arrived in Ottawa. I did not enjoy knitting with the wool sock yarn, as with the high humidity my hands stuck to both the yarn and the needles. It also took forever to block and dry the Sockmark. But it was really lots of fun to knit. I knit both parts from toe up, and then grafted them together so that the toe ends pointed in opposite directions.

I also made a Diamond Lace Bookmark, using crochet cotton. This was easier on the hands. I had fun with these two, and will probably make more for family!

5 comments:

Aline said...

Hello Nancy! Are these your own designs? I would love to offer these patterns at the shop. I love book marks and these are fabulous! Your swap sounds like so much fun. I was thinking about you and glad to read up on your latest knit-ventures...knit on :) Aline xx

The Knitty Gritty Homestead said...

Hello,
Love that starfish dishcloth...wondering where I can find the pattern...must have details on rav. I've just re-discovered dishcloths after having knitter's block (after finishing three Baby Surprise Jackets)! LOVE the dobby sock bookmark too!
Stephanie (Homesteadgirl)

Veronica said...

I am trying to find some jaeger Super Chenille wool. If you are considering selling please let me know and I am prepared to pay your asking price. Many thanks. Veronica

Veronica said...

Hello, my name is Veronica and am trying to find some Jaeger Super Chenille yarn. If you are interested in selling what you have please let me know and prepared to pay your asking price. Thanks. Veronica

Veronica said...

Hello, my name is Veronica and am trying to find some Jaeger Super Chenille yarn. If you are interested in selling what you have please let me know and prepared to pay your asking price. Thanks. Veronica